MEDIA ALERT: Waukesha County Technical College to close campus buildings; precautions extended for coronavirus outbreak
PEWAUKEE, Wis. (Tuesday, March 17, 2020) – In the wake of the worldwide COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, administrators at Waukesha County Technical College Monday and today made additional changes that affect the College community – students, employees and guests.
These decisions are driven by the declaration of the COVID-19 coronavirus as a public health emergency; the College is dedicated to implementing measures that will help limit the spread of the virus and keep the WCTC community healthy and safe.
- WCTC will close its Pewaukee and Waukesha campuses effective 5 p.m. tonight -- Tuesday, March 17, and buildings will be locked. Both the main and Waukesha campuses will tentatively reopen Monday, April 6; however, due to the fluidity of the situation, the return-to-campus date is subject to change. This also affects:
- Small Business Center
- Corporate Training Center
- Child Development Center
- Employees will be required to work remotely beginning Wednesday, March 18, with a tentative return-to-campus date of Monday, April 6.
- This week, March 16-22, students are on spring break.
- For classes that are 100 percent online and have already started, these will resume on March 23 and continue to follow their normal schedules.
- Most classes will NOT be held while campus is closed. Students should watch their emails for updates about classes during the week of March 30.
- Students in clinicals and internships should contact their worksite (or program faculty, if appropriate) to determine next steps.
- Truck Driving program students and Criminal Justice-Law Enforcement Academy students will be contacted by instructors on March 20 with direction on next steps.
- All student services, such as Academic Advising, Counseling, Financial Aid, Counseling, Student Accessibility, Service Desk and others will be available to students via online and other alternative means. Students should watch their College emails about how to access these services.
EVENTS, INCLUDING GRADUATION
- All internal and external events are canceled and will not be held on or off campus through May 31, 2020. This includes meetings, workshops, pinning ceremonies, showcases, speakers and more.
- WCTC’s two spring graduation ceremonies, set for Saturday, May 16, have been canceled.
WCTC is following guidance from the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Wisconsin Department of Health Services in providing resources to those in the WCTC community. For comprehensive, up-to-date information, visit www.wctc.edu/coronavirus.
Waukesha County Technical College, the leader in workforce development, prepares learners for success within the region and global economy. The College offers more than 150 areas of study including associate degree, technical diploma, apprenticeship and short-term certificate programs. Customized training for employers is also available. To learn more, visit www.wctc.edu.