WCTC Collegiate DECA members earn honors at state competition
Several Waukesha County Technical College Collegiate DECA members brought home awards and honors from the Collegiate DECA State Conference March 5-8 at Lake Lawn Resort in Delavan, Wis.
WCTC DECA members, along with students from other colleges throughout Wisconsin, attended this professional conference and competed in testing, prepared events, case studies and management institutes. Members also had opportunities to participate in mentorship and networking events.
WCTC Collegiate DECA earned the following awards and recognitions:
- Student of the Year, finalists: Students Sara Nasser Ali and Matthew Sellnow were both recognized as finalists in the Professional Development Council Student of the Year award. Ali and Sellnow presented their portfolios, resumes and program work to an alumni panel who assessed candidates from all the state chapters.
- Collegiate DECA Civic Consciousness Award, third place: WCTC chapter -- For raising funds for Washington County Boys and Girls Club, Soles for Jesus, Wisconsin Collegiate DECA, Wisconsin National Guard and the WCTC Campus Cupboard.
- Diamond Trophy, third place: WCTC chapter -- For displaying overall leadership in four areas: Career Understanding, Civic Consciousness, Social Intelligence and Leadership Development.
Competitive event award recipients and national qualifiers include:
- Marketing Communication: Ashley Denruiter and Sarah Nasser Ali – 1st Place;
Brandan Smith and Jordan Davidson – finalist
- Sports and Entertainment Marketing: Karyn Burrow and Abby Larkin – finalist
- Business Research: Sarah Nasser Ali, Tony Overmyer and Austin Huss -- 2nd Place
- Advertising Campaign: Jordan Davidson – 3rd Place
- Business Ethics: Austin Huss and Tony Overmyer – finalist
- Event Planning: Katie Latawiec and Jordan Even – finalist
- Ashley Denruiter -- Marketing Communication
- Karyn Burrow -- Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Jordan Davidson -- Advertising Campaign
- Jordan Even -- Event Planning / Advertising Campaign
- Austin Huss -- Business Ethics / Business Research
- Tristan Johannes -- Event Planning / Advertising Campaign
- Jageet Kapur -- Event Planning
- Abby Larkin -- Sports and Entertainment Marketing
- Katie Latawiec -- Event Planning
- Matthew Sellnow -- Sales / Human Resources Management
- Sarah Nasser Ali -- Marketing Communications / Business Research
- Tony Overmyer -- Business Ethics / Business Research
- Brandan Smith -- Marketing Communications
DECA prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs for careers in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe.